Why it matters
Built in 1883 on a prominent site overlooking the North Saskatchewan River, St. Vital Church is the oldest Catholic Church in Saskatchewan.
The vernacular, log structure - constructed using fur trade period post-on sill (poteaux sur sol) methods - sits on its original site and is directly connected with the founding of Battleford in 1875.
The church property played a role in the North West Resistance in 1885. In later years, St. Vital grew to include many parishioners from the surrounding Indigenous communities. The church was designated a Municipal Heritage Property in 1985.
Why it’s endangered
The St. Vital congregation moved to a newly built church in 1983 leaving the historic building vacant for the past 35+ years.
Now owned by the Town of Battleford, the Town posted a notice in 2018 it wished to de-designate the church and potentially demolish it after receiving costly estimates for repairing the structure.
Community members have voiced opposition to Town Council’s intention to reserve funds for demolition and remove the building’s heritage designation.
The Town’s efforts to find a new use have stalled, and this pivotal historic resource is desperately in need of ongoing protection and collaboration to create a new vision for its future.
This article is also available in French.
Canada's Top 10 Endangered Places List 2019
This Edmonton neighbourhood boasts the city’s highest concentration of historic resources with many detached houses designed by prominent architects in revival and Modern styles.
One of the last three remaining residential schools in Manitoba. Operating from 1889 to 1972, this brick building was completed in 1931.
Opened in 1914, the building was designed by prominent Winnipeg architect Max Zev Blankstein.
Together with three different churches occupying the other corners, the Rectory is a key part of an historic ensemble leading to the heart of town.
Ontario’s new More Homes, More Choice Act removes the abilities of municipalities to protect local heritage and gives final say over designation to appointed tribunals.
The cultural landscape of Ile d’Orleans still bears the physical imprint of the first families that settled the island in the seventeenth century and that went on to populate large sections of the new country.
The 120-year-old Cyclorama of Jerusalem is the only Canadian example of a painted circular panorama — an art form popularized in the nineteenth century.
The church was erected in memory of those who lost their lives in the Halifax explosion on December 6, 1917, and housed both Methodist and Presbyterian congregations.
More than any other community in Newfoundland, Grand Bank’s collection of buildings calls to mind the character of New England and Maritime seaside towns.