Why it matters
The Rubin Block is a three-storey mixed-use building whose substantial streetscape presence helps to anchor the Osborne Street south commercial strip.
Opened in 1914, the building was designed by prominent Winnipeg architect Max Zev Blankstein incorporating a striking combination of dark red brick, light stone accents, and bold cornice, and housed retail on the ground floor and 21 apartments in the upper storeys.
In 2006, a basement fire required $2 million in repairs. A second fire in May 2014 led to repairs that progressed so slowly that the City of Winnipeg stepped in to board up the vacant building.
Why it’s endangered
Currently the building is unoccupied, boarded up, and on the City’s vacant building list. It appears on track for demolition by neglect.
Since 2014 when the City of Winnipeg updated its heritage bylaws, the Rubin Block new heritage inventory status on the Commemorative List leaves the building unprotected from demolition or significant alteration.
Presently, the property owners do not appear interested in continuing the rehabilitation work necessary to again have retail on the main floor and affordable rental – much in demand in this inner city neighbourhood – in the upper floors.
The local MLA launched a petition – garnering over 1,400 signatures – urging the owner to rehabilitate the property.
The City is currently working to strengthen its vacant building bylaw to deter repeat or long-term non-compliance.
The Rubin Block needs building ownership that recognizes the historic, social and streetscape value of the building and will again make it an integral part of the community.
This article is also available in French.
Canada's Top 10 Endangered Places List 2019
This Edmonton neighbourhood boasts the city’s highest concentration of historic resources with many detached houses designed by prominent architects in revival and Modern styles.
Built in 1883, St. Vital is the oldest Catholic church in Saskatchewan.
One of the last three remaining residential schools in Manitoba. Operating from 1889 to 1972, this brick building was completed in 1931.
Together with three different churches occupying the other corners, the Rectory is a key part of an historic ensemble leading to the heart of town.
Ontario’s new More Homes, More Choice Act removes the abilities of municipalities to protect local heritage and gives final say over designation to appointed tribunals.
The cultural landscape of Ile d’Orleans still bears the physical imprint of the first families that settled the island in the seventeenth century and that went on to populate large sections of the new country.
The 120-year-old Cyclorama of Jerusalem is the only Canadian example of a painted circular panorama — an art form popularized in the nineteenth century.
The church was erected in memory of those who lost their lives in the Halifax explosion on December 6, 1917, and housed both Methodist and Presbyterian congregations.
More than any other community in Newfoundland, Grand Bank’s collection of buildings calls to mind the character of New England and Maritime seaside towns.