This beaded piano cover was made in 1878 at what is now Fort Qu’appelle, Saskatchewan. It is likely that local Métis women worked collectively on the large project, although the precision of the beadwork suggests the hand of one master artist possibly executing the larger motifs, while recruiting other women to work on the border and connecting motifs.
At 1.25 metres by 1.65 metres, this may be one of the largest surviving pieces of floral beadwork. The size, masterful execution, and provenance make this piano cover one of the most significant pieces of Métis floral beadwork in the Parks Canada collection.
Currently in storage in Winnipeg, the piano cover is slated to be displayed at the Winnipeg Art Gallery in 2022.